2005 Thanksgiving E-newsletter
Dear Friend,One of my current favorite quotes is "There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart." (words by Celia Thaxter). So even if the sky (or political climate) is filled with darkness and gloom, amidst rolling thunder, we are able to hold sunshine close when we are thankful.
Since we don't usually celebrate Thanksgiving day in the Philippines, let's make it a point to have an attitude of grattitude every single day! .....Here's to the many smiles you make, even at times when the heart seems to ache, and each smile you give away, when received, dear, will reverberate, rippling to those far and near. And one day when you need it most, downcast and glum in all you do, that smile you gave to others, will eventually come back to you!
In this issueHallooow?
Early Christmas Reminder
Art WorkshopOctober Sale and Events
Fight Illiteracy with Books for LessNew Products from Papemelroti
Ever heard of Harvest nights? Does 'halloween' have a 'hollow' ring to it instead of what it traditionally was meant to be --- All Hallow's Eve? Here are some alternative ways to spend Oct. 31st.
Harvest nights are celebrated in different parts of the world by Christians wanting to celebrate the blessings of harvest time rather than witches and goblins. These parties are filled with food, games and fun too! Sometimes people are in costume as well, but none are scary. These rid a lot of anxious parents of the thought of their kids having nightmares on Halloween. Some go so far as to dress up as their favorite saint or admired personality.
Some families spend quality time and make their very own traditional family night. Since Halloween was meant by the ancient Celts to welcome wicked spirits in, an alternative is to keep the family in high spirits with memorable activities like jamming together with the latest songs, cooking a new recipe, having a board game marathon or visiting relatives.
In Sagada, mountain province, the whole sky lights up from atop the mountain as blazing bonfires come from the cemetery graves. Relatives build a fire for their dearly departed to show that they are not forgotten. It is surely a warming sight for all who trek up the windy cold trail.
Early Christmas Reminder
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas... as an old carol goes. Strolling through malls, one will surely hear more Christmassy tunes play. There is a bit of wisdom in doing your Christmas shopping early.
We advise you to write your cards and letters now instead of later. Chances are, your notes and greetings will have a more heartfelt message in it rather than if you rushed making it.
It is a blessing that since the advent of internet, we have become more and more a 'paperless' society, saving a lot of trees in the process, but do remember to drop a line or two to the 'e-mail-challenged'. Many a grandparent, aunt or uncle would complain of the Christmas cards they no longer get these times. Include a drawing, pressed flower or picture and douse it with your favorite scent to give a little "more" of yourself in each greeting!
Note: Paper-less e-cards we recommend and discover (aside from our own Papemelroti e-cards of course): www.merimeri.com Click here to see our new Papemelroti Christmas card selection.
Kuya Robert's (of Art Is-Kool) Drawing Workshop last September 17 at Papemelroti and Books for Less, Casa Vicente, Ayala Alabang Town Center, was great fun for the kids and for Kuya Robert too! Thank you to all the kids (and parents) who came!
October Sale and Events
- October 12-14, 2005 - Drop by the 3-day Papemelroti bazaar activity at the Glorietta Activity Center - ! Visit our booth for items and surprises!
- Oct. 14-16 Mallwide Sale! At SM Megamall and Robinson's Manila - Get 20% off on most paper products and 10% off regular items
- Oct. 16 Merchant's Day, See samples of what you can make with our handmade paper-making demo at Casa Vicente, Ayala Alabang Town Center, Madrigal Avenue.
- Starting Oct. 24 Purpose Driven Life Seminar. Answers the question we all ask ourselves, "What on earth am I here for?" Find out why so many lives have been touched by this book and the 40 days of Purpose courses! Consistently on the NY Times Bestseller List, this series is something everyone should go through. Contact Ruel 0919-5632156, Bobby 0916-4127925 or Joy 0920-9053413 or 830-0911 (office) for more information and reservation. Free admission and open to all ages/status.
- Nov. 12-13 Family Wellness Festival! Entertainment, crafts, shows, learning and more! La Mesa Ecopark located at the East Fairview subdivision, Commonwealth Ave. For ticket reservations, please call Bantay Kalikasan at 415-2227 or 410-9670. The Wellness Festival is organized by ABS-CBN Foundation's Bantay Kalikasan program.
- Nov. 18 and 19 Fri., and Sat. - The Wild Bird Club of the Phils. presents Philippine Bird Festival at Crossroad 77 Convenarium, Vision21 Hall. Welcomes Grade 3 up to high school students. Activities include face-painting, coloring book, drawing/sketching, painting, dance, video presentations (The Life of Birds, WBCP video clips, etc.), lectures, exhibit: paintings, sketches, photos, merchandise, boothsand scheduled bird-walks within Metro Manila and possibly Candaba marshes! For updates click to www.birdwatch.ph
- Why not learn a bit of history while walking away some excess pounds? Click to www.oldmanilawalks.com for their latest tour schedules.
Himig KalikasanHaribon's new song writing contest - “Himig Kalikasan” is an amateur songwriting festival that entices school-based and out-of-school youths to compose songs that have an environmental theme. Himig Kalikasan aims to celebrate the country's natural wealth and raise awareness about the urgent need to protect our environment. Click here to download the application form More information is available at the Haribon website or call 4364363, 4333476 loc. 20, or 9207430 / e-mail email@example.com
Fight Illiteracy with Books for Less!
Donate books for public libraries at any Books for Less branch and join the fight against illiteracy today!
It's still raining THICK PAPERBACKS! Buy P800 worth of paperbacks and get one FREE!
It's easy to find the book you need at Books for Less! Just e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the TEXT Hotline at 630-9999 (no format needed). For other BFL inquiries, please e-mail email@example.com or call 371-4539 for details. For branches and other information visit their website at www.booksforless.ph
New Products from Papemelroti